Monday, April 13, 2020

Cave men

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood PrinceChapter 26

I read this chapter on Saturday afternoon. I am writing about it Monday afternoon. This chapter hasn't kept me awake at night (plenty of other things to do that during the pandemic). The struggle is what to say that would (or at least attempt to) be insightful.

You've read it. You know what happens. The Inferi creep you out. You don't read it right before bedtime. And as my wife says, if she does read it after dark then she reads the next chapter before daring to turn out the light. Or, as she says she has also done on her five journeys through the series: stop half way, finish it the next night, then read the next chapter.

Who knew there were such strategies to reading Harry Potter. Any more chapters I shouldn't read at bedtime? No one warned me about this one. Fortunately, I read it in the middle of the day.

Something that amazes me about my wife and three daughters is their knowledge of specific chapters. Make that every chapter. I've heard them recite the chapters in order and give a summary of each. When I told one of them Saturday which chapter I had just read, she countered: "Oh, that means The Lightning-Struck Tower is next." Of course, she was right.

So what to say about Harry and Dumbledore and the Inferi Apocalypse?

The cave in question might not be your ideal Man Cave, but it is a Time-to-Man-Up Cave.

Dumbledore is really good at magic, but we already know that.

Voldemort was Dumbledore's pupil, so he can anticipate the Dark Lord's moves and tendencies. Not a stretch to believe that.

Dumbledore's trust in Harry is more evident after the whole potion-drinking ordeal. Twelve goblets full did seem excessive.

I never really thought about which Horcrux would be found. The locket is a good start. Will Dumbledore smash it or will he put some kind of wizard force-field around it? Not sure how that works, but I say destroy it into a million pieces.

The chapter finishes one of my favorite and telling lines so far: "I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore. "I am with you."

And to lighten the mood ...

No comments:

Post a Comment