Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Better to be lucky

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood PrinceChapter 22

The oddest of things happen in this chapter. And I don't mean that just because my wish for something of real consequence to happen came true. That proves you don't need magic. Just "Destination, Determination, Deliberation" will do. (And I still wish apparation was a real thing.)

The first domino to fall is the death of Aragog. I must admit that because I am 9 years, 11 months into this not-so-widely-read project, I forgot who or what Aragog was. Keeping track of Hagrid and his zoo in the forest requires a database.

Most of the time what happens in this book is not what you see coming. I had given up on any kind of magic working on Sluggy to give up his Tom Riddle/Voldemort memory. I bought into Hermione's logic.

I admit I have picked on Ron. I know there are readers out there who think highly of Ron. But, come on, no way anyone saw it coming that Ron would suggest Felix Felicis — the lucky potion — as the way to finally get Sluggy to surrender his memory. Hermione was stunned. Of course, she wondered how someone of her intellect hadn't thought of it. Just unlucky.

Then the luck begins for Harry.

If you want to get someone to blab and give away state secrets, what better way to do it than for the person to sit down at the same table as Hagrid. Dumbledore is wise to keep Hagrid at Hogwarts, tending to his animals and away from anyone who would try to get him to talk about the Order of the Phoenix, Harry or anything to do with the war against the Death Eaters.

Sluggy, under the in-direct influence of Felix Felicis, walks blindly into an impromptu social gathering at Hagrid's cabin, has too much wine and finally talks. It was just that simple. Why didn't I think of that?

Harry also deserves some credit for his persuasive way with Ol' Sluggy. His final statement after handing over the memory finally shows his reason for not wanting to share. "Just don't think too badly of me once you've seen it."

With any luck, Harry won't.


No comments:

Post a Comment