Monday, May 16, 2011

Should I read the book, or wait for the movie?

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: The Movie

If I hadn't read the book, I would have been lost watching the movie. At least that's the way it seems. Maybe I feel that way because I knew more of what was going on than the movie told me.

If I had only watched the movie, would I be happy knowing what I know and oblivious to what I don't know? Would I ask more questions? Or would it seem like a simple story? Would I realize from only watching the movie that Harry was entered into the tournament to get him to his graveyard duel with Voldemort? Hard to say.

I do know that when I watched Lord of the Rings movies I mostly knew what was happening, but didn't always know why. I had everyone else in the family to fill me in on that. So it would probably be similar.

That said, it was a pretty good movie, especially the second half. The first half seemed to jump a lot and lack flow. Overall, it introduces a lot of elements about halfway. It might have been better to introduce fewer elements and further develop the important ones. There is a balancing act between trying to be like the book and trying to be a movie. I say, be a movie. Be more explicit about the theme running through the movie of Harry heading for a showdown with Voldemort. In the movie, it was all of the sudden.

It's probably a good thing the final book is two movies. I expect a lot to happen in that one. But I've got two other books to read first. Maybe this summer I will finish what I started and was supposed to finish last summer.

I need to get one of those time turners. 

1 comment:

  1. Every time it popped up, I had to suppress the urge to say things such as, "They never show Harry at the Dursleys'." or "The beetle thing gets completely ignored." We said a few things like that, but after a while, it seemed silly to point out plus we were talking over the movie. I was more aware of what was missing when I watched it with you who hadn't seen it before. Also, I had just finished the book myself so it was fresh in my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete