Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Not much private on Privet anymore

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Chapter 2

I couldn't remember what a Squib was so I Googled it. How crazy is it that I found a wiki that had the definition and an entire entry devoted to what a Squib is. I would say it's ridiculous for people to put this much work into fictional characters, but then look at me. I'm pretty sure some people think I'm crazy, and more would if they knew about this little blog.

"A Squib is someone who was born into a wizarding family but hasn’t got any magic powers. Kind of the opposite of Muggle-born wizards, but Squibs are quite unusual."
— Ron Weasley discussing Argus Filch

And I thought a squib was when you bounce a kickoff along the ground to prevent the dangerous return man from making a big play. Anyway, I'm sure we'll see more of Mrs. Figg if she doesn't get thrown into Azkaban for murder.

This episode of the Dursley's trying to uncover what happened to Dudley is comical. Vernon must have a strong heart, because he's not one to take things in stride. Harry, on the other hand, was just the opposite. He doesn't care what the Dursleys know and he tells them everything. What's the point in hiding it with owls in and out of the house and Dudley trying to blame him for everything?

Of course, when Petunia reveals that she knows what Dementors are, the whole scene changes. Harry finally gets some Privet Drive cred even though Vernon tries to throw him out. Then the Howler shows up and Petunia is shown to know even more about wizarding. "Are you in touch with wizards?" Harry asks. I would love to hear the answer to that one as well.

I want lots of answers, but I must be patient ... one chapter at a time (no wiki leaks please).

No comments:

Post a Comment