Monday, February 14, 2011

That's what friends are for

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Chapter 31

I know it's a shock to you my faithful few, but not everything is clearly seen in my crystal ball. I was sure old Voldemort would meddle with the third task, but alas it does not appear that he did. I must have been looking through dark-colored glasses.

I must say I was a trifle disappointed with the third task. It seemed easier and much less terrifying than the first two tasks. Maybe I'm showing my ignorance of magic, but it just seemed too easy. Not enough hocus-pocus.

However, I did admire the way Harry and Cedric handled the end of the task after Krum decided to play dirty. Their unselfishness reminded me of a story I once covered many years ago, and it brings to mind the same song that it did back then.

During a 100-mile endurance run in the mountains of Virginia, two competitors helped each other get back on the course and ran together until they were the first ones to cross the finish line. The words of Bill Withers came to mind then, and they come to mind again.

Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on


The ending that day wasn't perfect. Race rules did not allow for ties, so race officials ruled that one of the runners crossed the finish line first. The runners were unhappy and wanted to share the victory.

I hope I don't start the next chapter and find that Bagman has done the same.

1 comment:

  1. this is funny, and for none of the reasons you think. you'll find out soon.

    ReplyDelete