Thursday, May 20, 2010

Speak Dumbledore, speak

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Chapter 10

A lot of words are thrown around that Harry doesn't know because of his Muggle upbringing. It's good that these words have to be explained to Harry because it in turn explains them to me. Git was used to describe GilLo (that's Gilderoy Lockhart for anyone new to this blog), but I had not heard that word before. I asked my daughter Michelle who said, "You could Google it." So she did, and says that a git is a foolish or a contemptible person.

I agree with Ron that GilLo is a brainless git. Either that or he is playing the fool to keep us off guard like Quirrell did. Whatever that case, at least he's somebody to laugh at.

On to more important things. Our detectives get GilLo to get them the potions book, a possessed Bludger nearly kills Harry, Harry catches the Snitch anyway, GilLo is worse than a first-year at fixing Harry's broken arm, Dobby the masochist makes more admissions of guilt and Colin is petrified.

All that to lead us to Dumbledore revealing that the Chamber of Secrets has indeed been opened. I don't think it's a coincidence that he said it so Harry could hear it.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Chapter 11

Allowing GilLo to start a dueling club will undoubtedly go down as one of Dumbledore's poorest decisions. Everything this guy tries sets magic back a thousand years. He should have his wand license revoked and be made Filch's apprentice.

Now everyone knows that Harry is a snake charmer. Seeing him talk to a snake would freak me out almost as much as a black cat following me around the castle would. There's obviously a setup going on to make Harry look like the heir.

Now he's being taken to Dumbledore, who seems to be a true ally for Harry. Maybe Harry will get some answers about the Chamber.

Yesterday I was beginning to get a bit bored with this book, but today was like a good rally in a game of Quidditch. I'm looking forward to the second half.

4 comments:

  1. I am honored to be mentioned in your post :-)

    And I too wonder what madness possessed Dumbledore the day he decided to let Gilderoy Lockhart the Inept teach children how to attack each other....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gilderoy drives me crazy! It seems none of the adults see what a joke he is. Or maybe they just thought he'd add some levity after the crazy year before. Dunno. He's not much help, certainly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff you're starting to scare me with how into the books you're getting. Quidditch is not a real sport. I prescribe one hour of ESPN for every two chapters of Harry. You know, to kind of talk you down from the edge, bring you back to the real world!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, I appreciate your concern. Don't worry. I'm not addicted. Gotta go, though, it's time to start the third book.

    ReplyDelete