Monday, May 17, 2010

The story takes flight

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Chapter 3

Do you find it odd that the Dursleys want to keep Harry around? You would think they would rather be rid of him and the accompanying magic that spooks them. Blood, I suppose, is thicker than magic. That's my only explanation for Vernon hanging on to Harry's leg over a window sill.

Malfoy should see the Weasleys now, flying around in a car. I'll bet Malfoy doesn't have one. Even James Bond has never been given a flying car by Q that I can remember. If Dudley saw it, he's probably demanding one right now.

Anyway, it was good of the Weasleys to break out Harry The Wizard like he was Billy The Kid and fly him to the Weasley homestead. It's a strange-sounding place, but it sure beats Privet Prison.

When the Weasleys are done de-gnoming the garden I could point them toward some yards that could use a little de-gnoming and general de-lawn ornamenting.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Chapter 4

Like a dusting of Floo powder I'm already well into the second book. Traveling through chimneys certainly doesn't seem like the only way to go. Seems like one of those things you do once to say you did it.

The Weasleys are about as nice and selfless as they can be, but I have feeling Professor Gilderoy Lockhart sees only himself when he looks into the Mirror of Erised. I just might have to work "Magical Me" into my summer schedule.

Our friends are going to have to learn that the Malfoys aren't worth listening to. Now we know where Draco gets it. The rotten apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Chapter 5

Why couldn't Harry and Ron make it onto platform nine and three quarters? Who cast that spell? It can't be a coincidence.

But hey, they got to fly in the car again even if it was a long and uncomfortable flight. Ron does need to work on his parking skills. It's usually a good idea to avoid trees, especially ones that try to beat you up. Who knew they'd hit turbulence after landing.

Snape just can't wait to get Harry expelled. You'd think he would have softened a little after Harry's heroics at keeping the Sorcerer's Stone away from Voldemort. But he probably hasn't found a seeker who can compete with Harry and win back the house cup.

Now that school has started, the real story begins.

7 comments:

  1. Dude! He had a flying car in the man with the Golden Gun...although I'm not sure if it was James personal vehicle from Q. It may have been the bad guy's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I added the qualifier "that I can remember." I'll have to check that out. I might have that movie on an old VHS taped from TV somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the main reason the Dursely's want to keep Harry from going to Hogwarts is that they don't want him to be happy. Plus, every time he comes back he's more powerful and they've alrady had some experience with what powerful wizards can do so the idea of Harry getting stronger is probably pretty scary for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point. I hadn't thought of that. But then again I'm just a muggle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I found a highlight-type video on youtube of The Man With The Golden Gun. There is a flying car, but it's villian flying it, not Bond. Maybe Bond flew it also, but no evidence yet of that. Here's the link to it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxTCwrIYyZQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've raised an interesting topic. We learn later on in the series just how many muggles in government are clued in on the existence of Wizards . . . but I am now wondering if the Prime Minister lets the UK's elite MI-6 know about things relating to Wizards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's ask Moneypenny. I've always thought she knew more of what was going on then she let on.

    ReplyDelete