Sunday, May 9, 2010

Home is where the hat says it is

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: Chapter 6

I felt sorry today for kids like Harry who don't have a mother to love and depend on. There was no one to help him find platform nine and three-quarters. And here he was going off to boarding school and he had no one to miss.

OK, on to happier things. We need snack carts on airplanes like they have on the Hogwarts Express. Amy has made pumpkin pasties and I can attest that those are tasty. I would be just as adventurous as Harry with the Every Flavor Beans. And I'd be looking for that Harry Potter rookie card in the Chocolate Frogs. Sure to be a valuable collectible one day.

I suspect Ron Weasley will be a true friend for Harry. Right now he's Harry's only friend in the world, so I'm pretty sure Harry already knows he would die for his friend. Reminds me of Doc Holliday in "Tombstone" when he says he is risking his life "Because Wyatt Earp is my friend." Someone else says they have lots of friends. Doc replies, "I don't."

Hermione Granger is certainly booksmart. Ron hasn't taken a shine to her, that's for sure. But not many boys his age are going to be tolerant of a know-it-all girl who talks a lot. Not saying Hermione doesn't have redeeming qualities, but it's pretty obvious Ron's first impression isn't favorable.

Harry, though, knows obnoxious. As long as her last name isn't Dursley I'm sure he'll like her just fine.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: Chapter 7

This was my longest day of reading yet, and I admit that I drifted off into two naps before I could finish my assignment. But I might rate Chapter 7 as my favorite so far.

I do have one question. Why do all the wizards and witches have such strange names, while most of the students have regular names? Do they get a new name when the graduate? And where did the name Hogwarts come from? Are those the warts on Warthogs? Sure doesn't sound like a place you'd plan a vacation to.

Anyway, the sorting hat thing was clever. It was interesting how the hat listened to Harry's wishes. Did it listen to anybody else's wishes? I'm guessing he has special powers, and I'm wondering if he's exercising them already without knowing it. He's already famous because he did so as an infant.

How about that banquet. Sounds better than any school cafeteria I've ever heard of. I guess even wizards and witches have to eat.

Have you ever wondered where the hat would have sent you? I think I would've been sent to Hufflepuff. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment