Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Head games

Harry Potter and the Order of the PhoenixChapter 24

My first question about this chapter titled "Occlumency" was how to pronounce it. Thanks to the knowledgeable Potter Heads I live with, I think I have it down now.

I understand that growing up with the Dursleys and being orphaned so young makes Harry less than trusting of adults. He has formed the DA with fellow students, and the only adults he seems to trust his life with are the Weasleys (Mrs. Weasley is a maternal figure) and Sirius (an obvious father figure). He wants to trust Dumbledore with his life, but the old wizard keeps Harry in the dark a little too much for Harry's liking.

It's time for Harry to get over this hate for Snape at least a little bit. Dumbledore evidently trusts Snape, so Harry ought to think about that. Would Dumbledore let Snape get inside Harry's mind if he didn't trust the greasy-haired one? This could be a slippery (or greasy) slope of trusting Snape too much, but my bet is that Snape has reformed his evil ways.

I don't know how this story ends, but I can't help but postulate that Snape will be a key figure in the outcome.

Anyway, it was unexpected to learn that Harry was getting inside Voldemort's mind, not the other way around. There is no explanation as to how this happened, but it must have something to do with the graveyard incident.

And what lies behind the door to the Department of Mysteries? Hope I find out before the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment