Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Only the Goblet knows

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Chapter 15

Obviously you have to get up earlier in the morning than Harry did to fool Sirius Black. I told Harry not to worry about Sirius. Maybe now he will take my advice.

No surprise that Harry was able to fight and beat the Imperius Curse. If you can beat the Avada Kedavra as a baby, then you ought to be able to beat a lesser curse as a teen. Still, I'm sure Mr. or Mrs. Potter had plenty to do with that. That knowledge, I surmise, has a lot to do with Harry's bravery.

The arrivals of the delegations from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang were predictably elaborate. They do like impressing one another, not that it does any real good.

Madame Maxime summoned images of the Queen of Hearts from the old animated Disney version of "Alice In Wonderland." Not just her size, but also her manner.

And Viktor Krum is in the house. How exciting.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Chapter 16

But not as exciting as the announcement of the champions. As I began this chapter and read about Krum's presence, the great welcoming feast, Fred and George's ill-fated attempt at beating the age requirement and Hagrid's crush, I couldn't help but wonder if Harry would end up in the Triwizard Tournament. I didn't think it would be as the fourth, though.

I suppose we will find out how this happened, because I'm sure Maxime and Karkaroff won't like Hogwarts having two players in the tournament and will demand answers. But the Goblet has spoken, so I'm sure there is no undoing what's been done.

Betting and handicapping isn't my thing, but I would lay heavy odds on Harry winning the tournament. He has the instincts, and he's already encountered more danger than the others combined.

I wonder though ... are dark forces at work here.

3 comments:

  1. Jeff, I am really getting a kick out of reading your ongoing commentary. It's a pleasure rediscovering the septology a chapter at a time through your eyes. Sometimes I read your remarks and I think you are much more prescient than I was. Other times, I have to resist the urge to shine the light on things you might have missed. I think one of the things that makes the books so good is the deft way Rowling weaves clues and multiple subplots into all seven books, in a seamless serial. There's other facets to the likability factor, but I need not sell. Just wanted to thank you again for sharing your impressions and reactions with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rick. I figure I have a bead on what's going on at times, then other times way off base. Kind of like picking football game winners. Glad you are enjoying it. Hope I can keep it pretty regular once school starts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder sometimes if you are retaining some of the snippets from the movies you couldn't avoid overhearing (living in this house 'n all). Then you'll blog and I'll see that you couldn't have been paying very close attention. And I get to chuckle. Overall, though, I agree that your mind tends toward the correct conclusions and surmises.

    ReplyDelete