Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Bad dreams are made of this

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood PrinceChapter 15
For most of this chapter, how many of you – and be honest – felt like you had just awakened from a bad dream about junior high? Then you replayed the events in your head as you brewed your morning coffee and smirked.



I rarely remember enough of a dream to be able to repeat it. But it's all trapped in my head, and I know some of this stuff happens. We could all write a junior high memoir that ain't pretty.

Some chapter highlights:

  • Harry dodging the mistletoe traffic. I can relate to Harry as a shy young teen, but some guys I knew would have walked right into the middle of this.
  • Harry the teen idol. Yes, there was always one or two. I have no idea what that feels like as much as I have no idea what it's like to be in a boy band.
  • Ron and Hermione talking to Harry about their troubled relationship. We've all been Harry in this one. And I never knew what to say. Dr. Phil's the one with the PhD. Go ask him.
  • Girls hoping to slip Harry a love potion? Well, love potions aren't real, but I remember girls at times going to great lengths to be noticed. Of course, guys can also plead guilty to that.
  • Hermione's sweet-sounding sentiments about her date meant to stab Ron in the heart. As blunt as she usually is, that was smooth.
  • Hermione's jealousy. We've all seen it. But to be fair, the worst cases I ever saw were the guys being jealous.
  • Harry is worn out by this feud/lover's quarrel between Ron and Hermione. He'd probably be OK with some forehead burning about now.
  • So Harry invites Luna Lovegood to the party and friend zones her. Classic. And the gossip of it spreads faster than a Quidditch snitch.
Meanwhile, back to the major plot theme. Harry does his best James Bond and follows a villain out of the party, presumably with no one noticing. Harry ... Harry Potter, has a gadget Q never invented for Bond – an invisibility cloak.

That brings us to the unbreakable vow. I knew the vow (based on the title chapter) would have nothing to do with teenage relationships, but I had no clue what it would actually be.

Draco speaks to Snape as a peer, not as a professor. That's revealing. An unnamed master is mentioned, but his identity seems obvious.

Snape's unbreakable vow to Draco's mother is intriguing. How does this affect my Snape is a double-agent-loyal-to-Dumbledore theory? From what or whom is Snape actually protecting Draco? The answer can be assumed, but it's not clear.

As Harry sits under his cloak with his mind racing, I'll go to bed tonight hoping I don't dream about junior high.

No comments:

Post a Comment